She had a story about her seven-year-old daughter that I love to think about in spring. It was a tiny snippet of a story- a side conversation really. Her daughter would pick up fallen scraps of foliage on the concrete slab floor of a Lowes Home Garden Center and tuck them in her pockets. You know... the loose vines and leaf stems that are usually swept up at the end of the day and tossed. The flowers and their damaged stems, rolled over by carts and careless sandal feet. Garbage to most people. No one noticed her collecting the rejected scraps. Most people were looking at the full-bodied plants. Days later her mother found sedums and begonias propagating in her bedroom windows. Her daughter propagated a whole garden from damaged discard. Each spring I wonder where she is now and what incredible things she is creating from almost nothing.
"You pile up associations the way you pile up bricks. Memory itself is a form of architecture."
- Louise Bourgois
April 21, 2024
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
Sense of place is often my favorite part of a story. I love it when the setting of a story becomes its own character. For example, I don’t r...
-
Midnight Highway (Thoughts on running) Saturday mornings With Melissa and her Wire Fox Terrier Miko Trotting, talking, scuttling along t...
-
My daughter spends the last days of her single-digit-years kayaking among dreamy domes of vibrant lime green mountain moss in Vermont. Small...
What a beautiful story! Now I'll think about it every time I'm in the garden department!
ReplyDelete