My daughter recently transitioned to being a front seat passenger
when it is just her and I
driving,
engaged in parallel conversations,
snacking on Swedish fish,
listening to podcasts or her poppy “pool party playlist”
(that I secretly enjoy on my Sunday run).
When she was small and still
in the back seat,
my mom rigged mirrors
from all angles off the headrest
so we could see her eyes, mouth, nose
in the rear view mirror.
When she was small we monitored
breathing, hunger, slumber
Now I angle metaphorical mirrors toward my front seat passenger,
attempts to monitor brain chemistry, soul, and faith.
She and I drive through Wisconsin
moments before the sun sets at 6:00 pm
hours before the leaves finally fall
days before an election.
Years ago when
she was a back seat bunny
gazing backward out the window
she pondered the loss of Tempest Shadow’s horn and
requested alternative choruses of “Wheels on the Bus”
….. Transmission uses his gears
………Alternator changes the energy
Now she gazes out the windshield with me
and ponders other things
I try to share all
the things I wish I would have known
at her age
to make life easier
to make it more beautiful
but doesn’t every mother make this attempt
all the while the daughter cringes?
At some point we just need to start singing again.
As I learned when I was twenty-one years old,
No one is a better DJ
than a front seat passenger.
No comments:
Post a Comment